Saturday, October 23, 2010

Niangua River 10/18 - 10/19 "Family Outing"

The wife had some vacation time to burn this week and asked if I wanted to get out of town for a couple days and do some camping. I'm always more than happy to get away and it's a real no-brainer when the campsite is located ten feet from one of my favorite trout streams.
Photobucket
It worked out that we both had Monday and Tuesday off so we got up Monday morning, loaded the truck and headed for the NRO Campground on the Niangua River. We got there just before lunchtime , set up our camp for the next two days and then cooked a quick lunch of hot dogs.
Photobucket
The campground was totally empty and it was nice to just kick back and relax a little for a change. We cooked all of our meals over a campfire , which worked out well because a cold front moving through had temps hovering in the 60's and a campfire felt pretty good all day long.
Photobucket
The wife was content sitting around camp and just enjoying the peace and quiet while I couldn't sit still for too long with the water that close. The section of water along along NRO is one of my favorites to fish on the Niangua and there is plenty of wadeable water both up and downstream of the campground.
Photobucket
The dog and I snuck away every chance we got and hit the river for a little fishing.
Photobucket
The action was pretty much the same story it has been the last few times I've fished this river , plenty of willing fish but they're all small stockers.
Photobucket
I think this abundance of small fish in the river has something to do with the construction work going on at BSSP trout hatchery nearby , but I'm just guessing. I didn't expect anything more though so I was totally happy to catch small rainbows out of pretty much every hole I fished.
Photobucket
The weather remained cool and cloudy both days which kind of suited us , it just made lounging around a campfire seem like all the more logical thing to do.
Photobucket
Photobucket
We had a great time , eating some good food and just enjoying the beautiful fall weather on another ozarks trout stream.

No comments:

Post a Comment