Sunday, August 17, 2014

Bugs from the Bench...Simple Baitfish Streamer

 photo P1080302_zps2f5b7e98.jpg
If you've been following the blog at all this Summer you've probably seen this fly in the mouth of more than a few smallies, some largemouth and even a few trout. When creating this fly I was basically looking for a non-articulated pattern that was easy to tie and had lots of action. The double deciever is one of my favorite streamer patterns for smallmouth but there are times of the year when a smaller profile bait seems to get more attention , even from the bigger fish. The first pattern that I tied and used successfully was the Murdich Minnow , which is a great fly in it's own right , but I still wanted something with a different profile and maybe even a little more action. After a few attempts at the bench and on the water testing I came up with what I now call the Simple Baitfish Pattern.
 photo P1080269_zps90e9c405.jpg
I know that's not a very catchy name but every time someone asked me what I was throwing I'd show them the fly and say "it's just a simple baitfish pattern" , and since I'm not very creative the name just stuck.
So anyway , I've had several requests recently wanting to know what fly that is and tying instructions for it if I was willing to give them. So here goes....

Materials List :
**All materials in colors to match main body. I like white body w/ olive head...Yellow body w/ olive or yellow head...White body w/ chartreuse head. **

Hook..... B10S - Size 1/0 (or sized appropriately to the fly you're tying)
Thread...GSP (color to match fly body)
Tail.....Marabou (tied in with a hook length of material behind the hook bend)
Lateral lines....Grizzly Hackle (tied in with tip same length as marabou , one on each side)
Rear Body....Extra Select Marabou (palmered forward and stroked towards back of hook as wrapped)
Main Body....UV Polar Chenille (palmered forward and stroked towards back of hook as wrapped)
Head....Senyo Laser Dub (tied in several hook length clumps in middle and folded back on both top and bottom of fly to form a head that pushes water)
Eyes...Red Holographic Eyes (stuck on dubbing head with Goop)
If you have any questions as to tying methods feel free to ask and I'll try to answer as best I can.

And here's a little photographic proof that they do actually catch fish...
 photo P1080131_zps45d23d39.jpg
 photo P1080285_zpsba08104e.jpg
 photo P1080447_zpsce93aceb.jpg

17 comments:

  1. Big streamers.
    There like a Porterhouse steak to those meat eaters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This fly isn't huge by any standard , usually around 3 - 4 inches , so let's call it the filet mignon of flies!!

      Delete
  2. Those look awesome. I might have to start tying my own...xmas gift maybe. Like I need a new hobby. Thx man...my wifes gonna love this!?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks man...you've got the right attitude already. It's a hobby just like fishing , not a money saving endeavor like some people go into it thinking. I will tell you that it's a very rewarding feeling to be able to catch fish on flies that you designed and created.

      Delete
  3. I'm pretty impressed with those flies. I love the look of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Howard...they're pretty easy to tie and once in the water they have some really great action with all of that marabou. I've caught several brown trout on these flies but they're just a little large for the average rainbow in most of our streams.

      Delete
  4. I love tying with laser dubbing, its pretty sexy stuff on the bench. And I have to say, this may be the smallest streamer I have ever seen you tie good sir, but as you said they sometimes want a smaller presentation. Good stuff man.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really like the laser dubbing as well , makes great heads on streamers. This fly in smaller sizes would be killer for the white bass and wipers out at clinton as well I think. Tied in a gray over white shad imitation would do the trick.

      Delete
  5. Thanks for posting this, Jeff! :)
    Its hard to beat marabou for action-in-the-water, plus it de-tangles easily after catching a fish. Looks like I need to do some shopping for Senyo's Laser Dubbing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem Dave...this fly has some great action for a non-articulated fly and as I told Bryan above , in smaller sizes I think it would be killer for white bass. You'll like the laser dub as well , it comes in some great colors and looks great when wet.

      Delete
  6. i always thought those were good looking streamers you use. glad to see you tie them yourself. great tie.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks...I'm to the point now where I can't hardly bring myself to purchase a store bought fly , unless I'm visiting a new water and the local flyshop has a local favorite that I just can't live without. Once I realized that the fish didn't really care how ugly my flies were , I quit buying all those pretty ones in the flyshop bins!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fancy shop flies catch more fishermens eyes than fish!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I may tie up a few of these for my box over the winter. Thanks, for the material list!! I bet the action it has in the water just drives those fish crazy. I remember commenting on a picture of yours about this fly in the past. Good stuff, man!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You won't be disappointed Justin. They do have some great action for a single hook fly and I've found that at least the bass and brown trout definitely approve. With all of the color combos you could create they can be tied to imitate just about any type of baitfish that size.

      Delete
  10. Very nice. I gotta stay caught up on my blogs. Lost several pigs on the glass. After I bought a TFO Clouser and went with Out with a wimpy rod instead. Great smallie photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear ya man...it's a busy time of year for me and it's tough to find the time to keep up with everyone. Gotta be out fishing every chance you get cause it won't be long and we'll be cussing the winter weather and sitting in front of the computer all day!!

      Delete