Friday, May 3, 2013

5/1 "Hump Day Fishing Trip...Truman Tailwater Wipers"

 photo P1050449_zps6a3672bc.jpg
I'm always looking for the opportunity to hook up with white bass or hybrids , personally I don't know of anyone who doesn't enjoy tackling one of the best fighting fish around with a flyrod. I knew it was the right time of year and after checking the generation schedule for Harry S Truman dam and seeing that they had been generating heavily for several days I decided to head South for a little one day trip and try my luck.
The intelligent fisherman would have been up and on the road hours before the crack of dawn to put themselves on the water at daybreak for the best fishing. Not me , that might make things too easy , Joe and I didn't arrive below the dam until around 8:30 and might have been actually fishing by 9:00. Luckily the first few hours were mostly cloudy which would work to my advantage. There were a bunch of fishermen on the East side, crappie fishing I guessed, and a few less fishing the West side where I intended to try. We picked a spot downstream of the crowds to start off and threw a small baitfish pattern with a looped on sink-tip leader. A couple of small whites were caught but it was pretty slow going. After a slight move upstream I hooked into something that I immediately knew was bigger.
 photo P1050433_zpse9170944.jpg
After battling the fish on the seven weight for a while I was able to land a respectable hybrid , at least in my book.
 photo P1050437_zpsadba0b5c.jpg
Between the strength of the fish and the strong current it was an exciting tug of war to say the least , mission accomplished...successful trip.
 photo P1050438_zps9f871c1c.jpg
Shortly after catching that fish the sun made an appearance and it started to get hot.
Joe and I decided to find a shady spot and take a short lunch break. The last minute trip meant grocery store deli sandwich , bag of chips and some sliced apple was on the menu.
 photo P1050455_zps0b8a5add.jpg
 photo P1050458_zpsafc4c053.jpg
Nothing fancy but we both enjoyed it nonetheless.
I didn't have any more action after lunch and decided to change tactics after a while. I rigged up with a white baitfish pattern jig that I tie trailed by an olive version of the same jig. I dropped both of these below a large thingamabobber and began working the current seams close enough to reach from shore.
 photo P1050454_zpse31af867.jpg
I immediately started catching small crappie pretty frequently and an occasional small drum or white.
 photo P1050463_zps63693299.jpg
 photo P1050462_zps8927b22d.jpg
Just as I was thinking of calling it a day the indicator disappeared and I could tell this was something a little better. After a good battle I landed another hybrid , not as big as the first one but still a nice fish for me.
 photo P1050434_zps5e244719.jpg
I caught a few crappie that afternoon but no more whites or hybrids unfortunately. I decided to call it a day about 3:00 and started the two hour drive back to KC feeling pretty good about my decision to head down. While I only caught two decent hybrids they were worth every minute of that four hour roundtrip drive. If the conditions don't change before I'm off again next week I may have to give it another shot...maybe I can get my lazy ass out of bed a little earlier next time , but I wouldn't bet on it.
 photo P1050442_zpsc13c9853.jpg

25 comments:

  1. Nice work! Hybrids are a blast on fly gear. Well..any gear! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Dave...You're right on that one , they'll put a serious bend in any type of rod you choose!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good happenings mid week.
    Great to get over that hump.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always nice to get out and fish instead of be stuck at work!!

      Delete
  4. nice stuff man, hybrids are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Casey...they're one of the fightinest fish I've had the pleasure to battle with , just wish I had more opportunities to play around with em.

      Delete
  5. Do you call your hybirds "wipers" in your area? During the spring run 8-15 lb. wipers come with the sand bass and its a blast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep , same fish by a different name. They are definitely a hoot to catch , I'm pretty sure I'd have lost the battle if I hooked up with a 15 lber on the seven weight (sure would like to try though)!

      Delete
  6. Well done. For me chasing warm water fish is a nice diversion from trout.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Howard...For me , chasing any kind of fish is a nice diversion from work!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dang, I would die for them, we've not had them introduced, nor drum, buffalo, quillbacks, but I better stop. We do have a lot of large trout, but how novel is that, I know your whites and hybrids fight far better than any of that kind. Good for your successful trip.

    Gregg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gregg...You know what they say , variety is the spice of life. I've caught some pretty big trout in my life but none of them battled like a good sized hybrid!

      Delete
  9. Nice day! I'd call that a very nice wiper. Had to feel good on that 7 wt. Looks like Joe preferred the crappies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jim...between the fish and the current it was just about all that the old seven could handle.
      Joe prefers his fish to be more "bite size"!!

      Delete
  10. Great outing. Nice hybrids.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks...Just wish I could have found a few more to play around with!

      Delete
  11. Great outing! Joe looks excited that you that crappie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Justin...I love that shot , it does look like Joe's smiling doesn't it? He's probably thinking how good that little sucker would taste!

      Delete
  12. Yeah baby! Just goes to show no need to get out of bed early to battle some nice fish and looks like you and Joe had the lunch of champions! Nice fish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks...Luckily feeling lazy wasn't a detriment on this day!

      Delete
  13. Love it that you fish with your dog! just came across your blog. great stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Amazing pictures. I was just surfing the net for some graphics for Hump day and fishing and your blog came up! Love it!

    Jacqueline~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You very much for the kind words. Glad you enjoyed some of the pictures!

      Delete
  15. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete