Saturday, October 29, 2011

Bugs from the Bench..."Halloween Flies"

Photobucket
With no fishing plans this weekend due to work obligations I decided to sit down at the tying desk Friday evening and play around with some larger bucktail streamers. Since getting interested in muskies this fall I've discovered some really cool fly patterns and decided to play around with a few of those basic ideas. I didn't really have the materials needed to make the flies muskie sized so I scaled back a little and tied them on the largest hook I had available which was a 2/0 Mustad. With that size hook I had to keep the flies to around 6-8 inches to keep the proportions looking correct.
Photobucket
I used the basic pattern from Brad Bohens "Hang Time" fly to build the bodies , reversed bucktail..marabou...flash and hackles. Each one got just a little better and by the time the third fly was complete I actually didn't think it looked too bad.
Photobucket
These look nothing like his finished fly (not that much talent here!) but I wouldn't be afraid to loop one on and throw it for some browns on my local rivers , especially if the water was high and murky where the fish weren't real picky!
Photobucket
Sometime in the middle of tying the third fly my wife walked in and took one look at the tying desk and inquired if I was tying Halloween flies? At first I didn't understand , then when I stepped back and looked again her comment made sense. Take a look for yourself...has kind of a Halloweenish (is that a word??) feel to it doesn't it?
Photobucket
Photobucket

So there you have it , my Halloween edition of "Bugs from the Bench".

Photobucket

8 comments:

  1. Great looking flies

    ReplyDelete
  2. G Lech - Thanks...if we ever get any rain around here it might bring the rivers up enough to make for some decent streamer fishing so I can try em out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are some Spooktacular designs my friend :) Thanks for sharing. Happy Halloween. Tight lines.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great looking ties. Btw, your tying desk is to organized, mess it up a bit ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Trout Magee - Thank you sir...glad you liked em.

    Richard - Thanks...I guess I'm not what you'd call a well organized tier!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Halloween flies or not, those look like they will move some fish. Looks like you take the same approach to your tying desk as I do...organized chaos.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very impressive, and, a great looking tying bench to work from.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sanders - good to know that I'm not the only one with those same organizational skills! I try to organize things once a month whether they need it or not.

    Mel - Thank you sir...my wife calls it my second home!

    ReplyDelete