Sunday, October 2, 2011

Fall Bounty...Farm Pond Panfish

Photobucket
An injury to one of the family members , my wife's horse , had me out at the barn a couple of mornings and evenings this last week to clean and bandage the wound. Just so happens that one of my favorite little ponds is not far down the road so I made lemonade out of lemons and spent a few hours fishing a couple of the times I was out for doctor duty. The home waters are cooling off quickly and the fish seem to be responding by eating just about anything that you put in front of them. It wasn't a bad way to kill a little time on a few beautiful fall days.
Photobucket
Photobucket
The bass were all small , but still fun on a 4 weight , and the gills and crappie were little porkers that'd obviously been on the feed bag for awhile. These were some of the nicest crappie I've ever caught anywhere , they don't look nearly as big in the pictures as they did in my hand but they were some real slabs.
Photobucket
Just enjoying this beautiful fall weather before the cold winds of winter usher in the next season , which around my part of the country brings with it waters that are more conducive to ice skating than fishing.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

18 comments:

  1. Wow nice fish! I am jealous as the weather is killing us out here. Been raining since 09/04. Were they hitting on the surface or underneath?

    ReplyDelete
  2. J and M Flies - Most fish came on a size 6 wooly bugger slowly stripped in. Several colors worked equally well , the fish were just eating.
    We could use some of your rain , havn't had any measurable precip here in almost two weeks. Thanks for reading...Jeff

    ReplyDelete
  3. Believe me, those crappies look big in the photos! Slabs indeed. Nice pond to have nearby.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are some huge crappie. Fun to catch indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those crappies are incredible! What fun! And I hope the family member is back to better. I grew up with horses, and remember those late and worried nights in the barn...and know they truly are part of the family. All the best...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with everybody else...those crappies DO look VERY big in your pictures! And those are some dandy bluegills as well.
    Sounds like you had some EXCELLENT fishing this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. those are some huge bluegills and crappies! I wouldn't mind having a little pond to catch fish like that!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those are some nice looking slabs! Glad you were able to get out and enjoy some time away.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jim -Thanks , I just found the pond this year and I have to say I've definitely enjoyed it.

    Chasing Blue Lines - Probably some of the biggest slabs I've ever caught , and on a 4 weight they were surprisingly scrappy.

    EMB - He's getting better every day , although he's getting tired of being in a paddock and messed with all the time! As you said , for us it's just like having a sick kid. Thanks....

    FishnDave - Thanks , those gills are some little scrappers this time of year. I'm not complaining...

    Blake - I agree , everyone oughta have a pond like that just down the road from their house. Not sure who's gonna do my chores while I fish though?

    Sanders - Thanks , you know how it is, gotta get away and stand on the edge of a piece of water with that rod in your hand. Only way to cleanse the soul....

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would say the pics do them justice, those are some pigs.

    ReplyDelete
  11. JGR - Thanks...it's too bad the pond is C&R only , those babies would have made for some nice fillets to throw in some hot grease!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice. Looks like fun! Great looking fish. What a gem to have just down the road.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Herringbone - Thanks...while not as exciting as an exotic fly-fishing trip there's something to be said for spending a quiet evening on the pond with your best friend catching a few panfish.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Now you got me wanting to hit my local pond for some crappies. Those are some nice looking fish! Glad I found my way over here. Looking forward to more posts.

    ReplyDelete
  15. G Lech - Thanks for reading. There's definitely nothing wrong with catching a few slabs out of the local pond , and if you're able to keep a fish or two for the fryer even better yet!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nice bunch of Crappie! Enjoy the weekend looks like it's going to be great weather!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Kevin - Thanks.. hope you tore em up this weekend.

    Troutdawg - Thanks...they were some serious slabs.

    ReplyDelete