Wednesday, October 12, 2011

A Day in the Life of a Fishing Dog

Photobucket
This past weekend found me staying home for a change opposed to my usual weekend of chasing one species or another of our finned friends around. Friday and Saturday the wife , dog and I went camping at a local state park and spent the majority of our time hiking or just relaxing at camp. We had a great time and I could have fished but the thirty mile per hour winds just weren't conducive to breaking out the flyrod. The remaining part of the weekend was utilized trying to catch up on that long list of chores that needs to get done around the house. I've been able to put most of these projects off all summer using the analogy that it was just too hot outside for that kind of work , now I've got about two weeks to get something accomplished before I change things up and break out the new seasonal excuse...it's too cold outside for that kind of work.
Tuesday was the day that I'd planned to hit the water , a friend and I were set to make a second trip back to Pomme de Terre and throw some big flies for muskie all day. As luck would have it , that damned four letter word "WORK" got in the way and Richard had to back out at the last minute due to unforeseen circumstances. I hadn't touched a flyrod all weekend and needed a fix of some sort to take the edge off my attitude towards life in general, so I decided to throw the gear in the truck and hit a few local spots with the fishhound.
Photobucket
We spent some time searching for feeding carp in a couple of my favorite spots and were totally skunked , didn't even see a fish. I'd have to say my seasons pretty much over for carp fishing here in the midwest.
Photobucket
Photobucket
After realizing the futility in continuing our search for carp we decided to hit a couple of small lakes and ponds in the same general area and throw some deer-hair divers for bass.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Except for two small fish landed ,a couple of boil-ups on my fly was the most excitement we were able to drum up. Not a stellar day of fishing by any figment of the imagination , actually the fishing was good but the catching really sucked.
Photobucket
In the grand scheme of things the beautiful fall weather and company of my best friend more than made up for what the fishing lacked.
Photobucket
Photobucket
We did a little hiking , exploring some new water for next year , and just took time out to enjoy being outdoors instead of couped up inside, as is often the case during our long midwest winters.
Add some good eats to the mix (Joes favorite part of a fishing trip!) and you're left with the recipe for a great day in my book.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
I don't normally like to speak for anyone else but I'm pretty sure if you asked Joe how his day went... he'd answer with a smile almost as big as mine .
Photobucket
Photobucket
Here's to beautiful fall days and unconditional best friends!!

11 comments:

  1. Ah yes! I love Joe Posts! :) Indeed, here's to fall days and unconditional best friends. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Post. Man how nice it would be to be a dog sometimes. Great way to enjoy this wonderful fall weather. Great Pics. Thanks for sharing. Tight Lines.

    ReplyDelete
  3. EMB - Joe and I thank you!

    Trout Magee - I've thought that same thing before..in my next life I'd like to come back as a dog (of course my owner has to be a fly fishing outdoor nut like myself!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I bet that dog loved that sandwich. Really cool post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. G Lech - Thanks...the local BBQ joint calls that the "Killer Combo" , 1/3 pound each of 3 meats on one sandwich. Too much for one man , but just right for a hungry fisherman and his buddy!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Joe is one lucky dog...Can't beat time spent with the best friend. Really enjoyed this one...cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Unconditional best friends indeed. Dog posts are the best.

    -stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sanders - Thanks...I'd rather think that I'm one lucky guy to have a dog like Joe!

    Stephanie - I agree , to me that one sentence says a lot about our four-legged friends. Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Randy - I have to agree. Not that I've ever had a dog I didn't think was great , but Joe's something special.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great looking sandwich..I'm usually stuck with a PB&J

    ReplyDelete