Monday, November 15, 2010

Wakarusa River - 11/15 "Local Flavor"

Wasn't able to get away this weekend for a coldwater trip but the weather was simply too nice to not hit the water.
Photobucket
Upper 50's and sunshine in mid November isn't unheard of around here but we all know our days are numbered before we feel the first signs of winter so you gotta take advantage of it.
Photobucket
I had heard rumors from a buddy that a few walleye and white bass had been caught by a friend of his a couple weeks ago on a local river below a reservoir.
Photobucket
No more details , just that a couple fish were caught. What the hell , it's only a 30 minute drive and I got no excuses not to go. I grabbed the 5 weight , a box of streamers , the homemade stripping basket and threw it all in the car and the dog and I headed West.
Photobucket
I knew the spot I wanted to go and being a Monday there was not another soul in sight.
Photobucket
We walked along the small river fishing any deep pools or riffles with with an assortment of streamers , from small shad patterns to foxee clousers.
Photobucket
Photobucket
The fishing was great , the catching on the other hand was a little slow.
Photobucket
I managed to land two small walleye out of one hole.
Photobucket
A little farther downstream a deeper pool produced a small sauger , a close relative to the walleye common here in some Kansas waterways.
Photobucket
I had another fish on here that felt bigger but of course I didn't get to see him so it's nothing but a fish story at this point.
Photobucket
Another brush choked pool turned up a small white bass (camera shy) and a small largemouth as well.
Photobucket
It was a beautiful afternoon and I thoroughly enjoyed spending a few hours with my best friend throwing some line around.
Photobucket
Need to go home and tie up a few more foxee clousers after losing two today , they were the ticket. With December looming large , the tying vise will start seeing more time and the waders will take the hit seeing less use as the weather turns colder , days like today will help me get through it.
Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. Nice never caught a sauger ever.
    Turns out Capps creek (White Ribbon Section)is about two miles of water before it reaches Shoal Creek. Trout Hunter post the water is Known for it's 20+ inch Trout. We must of missed them buddy.

    ReplyDelete