Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Bugs from the Bench...."Hares Ear Variant"

Photobucket
With winter hitting full force here in the midwest my fishing reports are getting further and further apart it seems. While I wish I could be on the water more this time of year, the facts are that I have to drive 200 miles to be on the closest coldwater stream to my home and my local waters are no longer in a liquid state. As with most fly fishermen, tying flies keeps me going through the off times.
Photobucket
I'm not an expert tyer or even a good tyer for that matter, but I do enjoy sitting down at the bench for an evening of relaxation. To fill some empty space on the pages of my blog I've decided to post a few fly patterns. These flies aren't patterns that I've developed, although I may have tweaked some of them to perform better on the waters I fish. Last night I had some time to sit down at the vise , and after looking through the nymph box decided to fill some vacancies created by my last couple trips. My selection of GRHE flies always takes a hit when nymphing as they're universally productive on practically all waters. One of my favorites is a Hares Ear Variant tied on a curved caddis hook.
Photobucket
This fly isn't pretty or difficult to tie , but it's been highly productive for me. Following are a few pics and the recipe for tying my version of this fly (still trying to learn the best ways to photograph flys so pics kind of suck!).
Photobucket

Recipe : Hares Ear Variant
Hook...Mustad C49S (sz 14-16)
Bead...Gold Tungsten or bead of choice
Thread...Black 6/0 or 8/0
Tail...Wood Duck flank feathers
Rib...Small copper or Gold Ultra-Wire
Body... Hares Ear dubbing of choice
Shellback...Mottled Turkey tail feather
Thorax...Hares Ear dubbing and Tan UV Ice Dubbing mixed
Collar...Light Ginger Hen Saddle feather palmered

Photobucket
Photobucket

3 comments:

  1. I hear you. I wish they would plop a tailwater trout fishery somewhere in the KC area!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen to that!! If the wife only knew what I spent in gas last year traveling around fishing!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, driving around MO to fish is expensive, then add in a trip every year to Wyoming. Its enough to make one dream of moving.

    ReplyDelete